Autumn is finally here! It has been long awaited and I’m so happy it’s finally shown up.
I’ll just come right out and say it. Summer is trash. It’s hot and sticky and I hate it. I yearn all year long for the crisp chill of Fall to come out and stomp all over Summer and it’s sweaty grip. And that time has finally arrived!
Not only is my favorite holiday during this season (Halloween, on which I could wax poetic) but I truly believe Autumn has the best food. I would straight up mainline Pumpkin if I could figure out how to. But a close second to Pumpkin is Butternut Squash. It is such a versatile vegetable! Savory? You got it. Sweet? No problem! Breakfast? Come on down. It’s truly the MVP of the season.
So, of course, I figured I’d incorporate BN Squash (that’s what us in the biz call it) into my next recipe. I added some homemade purée into my egg mix, as well as on top. Then for good measure, I dumped a bunch of bacon bits on top. It’s like a perfect little autumnal flavor bomb.
If you want to skip some of the prep time, you can go ahead and just buy pre-made Butternut Squash purée. However, I had some time on my hands so I made my own, using this recipe over at KACEY at Bat.
Butternut Squash Deviled Eggs
- 12 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp light mayo
- 1 cup butternut squash purée (see notes above)
- 2 tbsp crumbled bacon
- Hard boil your eggs, then peel and slice into halves
- Combine egg yolks, mayo and 1/4 cup BN purée
- Using a plastic bag, pipe filling into egg halves. You can also use a spoon
- Spoon remaining purée into a separate bag and pipe onto the top of the eggs. I zig-zagged mine but you can decorate however you’d like
- Top each egg with crumbled bacon