Alrighty – this week we’re getting a little adventurous. I’ve been racking my brain lately, trying to come up with original egg recipes. That was a little difficult, so I compromised with myself instead. I found an existing recipe as a launching pad, and jumped into the weird end of the pool from there.
As I mentioned before, I like to cook a little out of the box. So, with that in mind, I bring you Turmeric Curry Pickled Egg Salad. Yes, that’s a LOT of title for one recipe. But I promise it actually works! And tastes good! I even had another human eat it to make sure (I say human as i’m pretty sure my dog Boomer would gladly eat anything – here’s looking at you, guilty Shiba Inu next to a spotless plate that once held a dozen deviled eggs).
My original inspiration for this recipe came from here: https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/pickled-turmeric-eggs-recipe.html
I found this recipe on Pinterest (where else?) and was instantly hooked. I have an abundance of Turmeric in my kitchen. I have a dealer (read: husband in the Middle East for a year). He hooks me up with lots and lots and lots of spices, which include, you guessed it, Turmeric. I’ve been brainstorming how to use all my lovely Turmeric and this recipe snagged my eye from the get-go. So with visions of Turmeric Eggs dancing in my head, I knew I needed to find a way to incorporate them into a recipe for the blog.
Here enters Curry Egg Salad. Like Turmeric, my coffers are overflowing with Curry powder. I am a happy, spicy lady for sure. I thought that these eggs would really pair nicely with curry and marry into a happy egg salad. And guess what. They did! *Insert drool emoji*. Please enjoy!
Turmeric Curry Egg Salad:
- Pickled Tumeric Eggs (see recipe linked above)
- 1/4 Cup of Light Mayo
- 1 Teaspoon of Curry Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- Dash of pepper – to be dashed liberally
- Make the Pickled Turmeric Eggs ahead of time. I let mine pickle for about 5 days, but I would say maybe let sit for 3 before making this recipe. I also skipped the peppercorns step but, in all honesty, that’s because I didn’t realize I was out until it was too late.
- On the day of, remove your eggs from the jar they’ve been deliciously pickling in. Slice in halves and see how cool they look (see below in slideshow).
- Dice eggs and add to medium sized bowl.
- Add Mayo, Curry Powder and Onion Powder.
- Mash until you’ve reached desired consistency. I prefer my egg salad a little chunky.
- Dash in pepper to taste.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Side Note: I did *not* take this step but my taste tester suggested it and honestly it was brilliant. If serving on a sandwich, such as I did, add a little sweet relish. This will help cut the bite of the apple cider vinegar. Again, this is to personal taste, but I would say go for it!